Disappointed

I am a huge Billy Joel fan, and I have seen him in concert several times. On April 26th I took my son to see Billy Joel play at Miller Park. I bought great seats and we were looking forward to an awesome concert. What we got were a lot of cover songs and a lot of B songs. I understand that playing the same songs over and over again can get old, but when you pay a lot of money to see Billy Joel in concert you expect him to play his songs. I would have LOVED to at least heard him play his songs not his guitarist sing or an older roadie sing an AC/DC cover. I believe he sang 2-3 cover songs from other bands in addition to his band members playing other cover songs. If he is getting tired of playing the same songs over and over, then stop touring for a while. I walked out the concert very disappointed that classic Billy Joel songs that are so awesome to hear in concert were not played.

It really bothers me that I will always remember how disappointed I was at this concert whenever I hear a Billy Joel song. If I would have known this was his lineup I would never have bought expensive tickets. I would have spent a whole lot less and sat in the back of the stadium.

Comments

• kk17kk17 Posts: 1
    I made an account just to respond to this post. I am looking at this setlist for this show and I am so confused.

1. The covers were:
    "Your Song"- which he plays for 10 seconds
    "Take Me Out to the Ballgame"- You were at a concert in a baseball stadium
    "Sledgehammer"- Which he plays half of the song
    "Highway to Hell"- the only cover they play all the way through and he has been doing that song for years! Also who doesn't like this song?
    "Nessun Dorma"- a minute thirty long while the band sets up for Scenes

2. B songs?
    Could you please explain which songs you consider "B" and explain which songs you wish he played instead? For example "She's got a way" maybe?

Setlist
    Big Shot
    Pressure
    Your Song (Elton John cover) (first verse)
    The Entertainer
    Vienna
    Take Me Out to the Ball Game
    (Edward Meeker cover)
    Zanzibar
    New York State of Mind
    The Downeaster Alexa
    Sledgehammer (Peter Gabriel cover) (first verse & chorus)
    Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
    Don't Ask Me Why
    Allentown
    She's Always a Woman
    My Life
    Highway to Hell (AC/DC cover)
    Only the Good Die Young
    The River of Dreams (with Take It Easy by the… more )
    Nessun dorma (Giacomo Puccini cover)
    Scenes From an Italian Restaurant
    Piano Man
    Encore:
    We Didn't Start the Fire
    Uptown Girl
    It's Still Rock and Roll to Me
    You May Be Right (with Rock & Roll by Led Zeppelin)

Also, if you are worried about bad setlists (which again, this was not a bad setlist) you can always check setlist.fm where people post setlists from every concert ever and you can get a feel for what is going to be played at the show you're going to.

Sincerely,

Defender of the Miller Park Setlist!
    (This is all in fun, have a great day)
  • jules5172jules5172 Posts: 1
    Not to beat a dead horse, as I see this post is a couple months old, but I have to agree with kk17. That is a pretty strong set list. Also, as a general rule personally, I don’t especially enjoy live concerts unless it is someone whose music I know REALLY WELL so that I can sing along with pretty much every song, or at least be familiar with most of them. Hence, I really only go see Billy Joel live. Any concert goer should be prepared to hear music they didn’t expect to hear. That’s just the reality of what makes a live show live. If we wanted to hear a concert of only the songs we want, we can just listen to “12 Gardens” or “Last Play at Shea”, etc.

I hope you’ll go again, and have a better experience next time!