A question about the We didint start the fire song

hey everyone,
I have a question. If anyone can answer it please do.
So I was talking to a friend of mine at school. This friend of mine is the only kid I know that listens to the same of music I listen to. So anyways, we were talking about Billy Joel and my friend brought up We didint start the fire. My friend told me that somebody told Billy Joel that his generation sucks and that nothing cool happened during his generation and that is why he wrote We didint start the fire. Is this true? Because if it is..........

THAT IS FREAKEN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please reply.

The 12 year old Billy Joel fan

Kevrock

PS: I would still love to make some more Billy Joel fan friends. So check out my profile if you get a chance.

Comments

• joelsgirljoelsgirl Posts: 224
    True. apparently he was talking to a younger guy (not sure about the age) and the kid said something about not much important happening which prompts Billy to start going through all the big events that happened during his life. There ya go, a new song! Glad to have you on the forum, kevrock.

--
    joelsgirl
  • KevrockKevrock Posts: 169
    Oh wow!
    That is so cool!
    But what does the chorus mean then?
    --
    The 12 year old Billy Joel fan

Kevrock
  • joelsgirljoelsgirl Posts: 224
    He means that his generation (or his parents generation or the one before and so on) didn't create the mess - "start the fire" but its always been around - "since the worlds been turning." We didn't light it (meaning started it) but we tried to fight it (meaning we tried our best to fix some of the problems.) This song is good for trying to see how the baby boomer generation tried to fix some of those problems. My favorite lines have to do with the common theme of america's attempt to fight communism throughout this entire period he sings about in this song. FOr example, Red China, Joe McCarthy, North Korea, South Korea, etc. Don't know when you take US History in your state but he makes mention of all the stuff I teach about in the second half of US History that is taught at the junior level here in Kentucky. Hope that helps!

--
    joelsgirl
  • joolsmithjoolsmith Posts: 823
    Joelsgirl is right.
    BJ was doing a class at a college and one of the students commented that it wasn't a great era to live in as nothing had really happened historically during BJ's life.
    BJ replied by reeling off the significant historic things that had happened during his life. WDSTF covers the years from 1949, the year BJ was born to 1998 when Stormfront was released.
    He says he normally writes the music first and then adds the words, but in WDSTF he wrote the lyrics first and now doesn't really like the melody.

Jools