Is there anyone out there that has been through this?

joolsmithjoolsmith Posts: 823
edited 01/25/09 in Off Topic
Hi
This is going to sound really strange, but I'm sure you will understand.
My father has had an alcohol problem for many years and has now been told there is a serious problem with his liver.
He refuses to stop drinking. He won't even consider cutting down.
He's not young, in his 70's, but won't even try to do anything to improve the situation.
If things go the way they are headed then he will literally drink himself to death.
Is there anyone out there that has been in this situation with a loved one?
I know there is nothing I can do to make him stop, I would just like to talk to someone who knows how this feels.

Sorry to be morbid.

Thank you

Jools

Comments

• rsdiamondrsdiamond Posts: 2
    I, myself have had a problem with alcohol. But thanks to "Valley Hope" facility and AA Program I am 6 months sober. VALLEY HOPE has an awesome program. There are facilities located around the United States. I went to Norton, KS for 4 weeks. Would not be here today, if not for VH and my "higher power"!
    Sorry you have to go through this with you Dad. I hate what I have put my children and husband through. Wishing you the best.
  • joolsmithjoolsmith Posts: 823
    Thank you.
    We live in the UK and I'm aware of all the help that is available, unfortunately I can't convince my Dad to access it. He just refuses to stop drinking.
    I wish he had your good sense.
    It's great to hear how well you are doing.
    I'm sure your children are just glad you have stopped and and have got your recovery.
    Happy Anniversary.
    Hope you enjoy the concert.

Jools

Jools