BILLY'S ASSISTANT--please read!

Billy's music is basically the soundtrack of my life. Growing up in the '70s and '80s (and being a melancholy singer/pianist myself), your songs always seemed to tap into my volatile emotions and strike a chord (pardon the pun) in my heart.

My lifelong best friend, Melanie, and I were trying to figure out the best way to celebrate our 60th birthdays in June of this year. We decided it was to come see Billy at Madison Square Garden in September. We couldn't swing front-row seats, but even with our cataracts, we're going to be just fine-- with the assistance of the jumbotron, that is--in Sec 202, Row 6, Seats 6 - 7.

Melanie and I met in first grade and, through the years, we were in and out of school together, We came back together in high school, where our friendship was sealed in blood. We went separate directions for college but never lost touch, even as we moved our families all over the Southeast. Though the highs and lows of life--through marriages and deaths and divorce and children and heartbreak and joy--we've remained closer than biological sisters. We've shared things that no one will ever understand. We're sisters for life.

I am writing to ask you a favor. Is there any way Billy could help me surprise Melanie by giving us a birthday shout-out on September 27, just to basically make our lives complete? There won't be two other women in The Garden that night that love Billy more than we do--guaranteed--and certainly none that love each other more. We'll be able to die happy if you do this.

Thanks for considering my request, and thanks to Billy for making music that captures our hearts. We are counting the days until September 27!

With gratitude,

Lindsay

Comments

• sweeneyfisweeneyfi Posts: 5
    This Friday I will be at Camden Yards with my family seeing Billy Joel for the first time. It will be my 52nd Birthday. I can’t describe how excited I am to see my favorite artist in person. What makes my story a little different is that because of time, work, moving around and a million other reasons, I have never seen Billy…but I’ve met him.
    I grew up in Syosset, N.Y – the town next to Hicksville and spent a lot of time in Oyster Bay; living there for a few years before leaving the Island. When I was 16 (1983), my friends and I were eating pizza and drinking a few beers (yes, a bit underage) with my friends’ older brothers at Christiano’s – our favorite restaurant where my Mom and I would spend every Sunday night eating after a day at Centre Island Beach in Bayville. As we were finishing dinner, my friend Chris says “Christie Brinkley just walked in and went to the bar.” I think “shut up” were our exact words to him and before we could give him more crap about it, he follows up with “Billy Joel walked in.” Needless to say we grabbed our check and rushed around the partition as quickly as we could to see Billy and Christie sitting at the bar. As starstruck as we were, they both couldn’t have been greater. We spoke about the area and our rival High Schools. They could have brushed off this handful of local kids but they didn’t and Billy treated us all as friends. If I loved his music before, I liked and respected the man even more after this.
    No cell phones for a selfie, no twitters or posts. Only a story that some Long Island kids will hold on to forever and a cool story about meeting our idol and a truly amazing guy! 36 years later, I now live with my beautiful wife and two amazing teenagers (not too much of a handful  ) in Charleston. SC. I finally get to see him after all of these years and I know it will be worth every minute of the wait. Thank you Billy for the memory and thank you in advance for the memory this coming Friday!
    Jim Sweeney
    [email protected]

• sweeneyfisweeneyfi Posts: 5
    This Friday I will be at Camden Yards with my family seeing Billy Joel for the first time. It will be my 52nd Birthday. I can’t describe how excited I am to see my favorite artist in person. What makes my story a little different is that because of time, work, moving around and a million other reasons, I have never seen Billy…but I’ve met him.
    I grew up in Syosset, N.Y – the town next to Hicksville and spent a lot of time in Oyster Bay; living there for a few years before leaving the Island. When I was 16 (1983), my friends and I were eating pizza and drinking a few beers (yes, a bit underage) with my friends’ older brothers at Christiano’s – our favorite restaurant where my Mom and I would spend every Sunday night eating after a day at Centre Island Beach in Bayville. As we were finishing dinner, my friend Chris says “Christie Brinkley just walked in and went to the bar.” I think “shut up” were our exact words to him and before we could give him more crap about it, he follows up with “Billy Joel walked in.” Needless to say we grabbed our check and rushed around the partition as quickly as we could to see Billy and Christie sitting at the bar. As starstruck as we were, they both couldn’t have been greater. We spoke about the area and our rival High Schools. They could have brushed off this handful of local kids but they didn’t and Billy treated us all as friends. If I loved his music before, I liked and respected the man even more after this.
    No cell phones for a selfie, no twitters or posts. Only a story that some Long Island kids will hold on to forever and a cool story about meeting our idol and a truly amazing guy! 36 years later, I now live with my beautiful wife and two amazing teenagers (not too much of a handful  ) in Charleston. SC. I finally get to see him after all of these years and I know it will be worth every minute of the wait. Thank you Billy for the memory and thank you in advance for the memory this coming Friday!
    Jim Sweeney
    [email protected]