Just watched Billy Joel Russia 1987. It made me cry. It was so emotional. Thanks Billy

Me & my daughter went to St Petersburg December 2013.( I am 58 and grew up with Billy Joel) She is 27. We had an amazing time. But what was so amazing ,was watching Billy ,break down the barriers in a Russia. He totally transcended politics, and brought music to the people.

It had me in tears.

Thank you Billy Joel. You seemed to set the young people free.

Rita Murray
United Kingdom

Comments

• rootbeerrootbeer Posts: 40
    Billy might not have started the fire but he certainly helped stoke it.
    Victor - what a star.
  • What is Victor doing these days, would love to know how is life has fared, does Billy keep in touch with him?
  • SpitzFritzSpitzFritz Posts: 95
    Apparently they tried to locate him for the documentary but were unable to...no idea what became of him.
  • unionjackunionjack Posts: 2
    watching this relighted my admiration for billy and took me back to the 80,s I feel like I lost something that I loved and now Ive found it again 30 years later sorry billy didn't mean to loose you
    my god your voice just break me down just as well I watched this on my own I got a bit emotional but keep this to yourself
    street cred and all
    thanks
    mick
  • I know. sooo emotional and so glad I watched it by myself!!
  • Ace5150Ace5150 Posts: 3
    I was a tad disappointed as when they first released some footage on video in 1988, they showed him playing in UK's NEC where I saw him twice, before they showed the sealink lorries loading up the stage gear.This is now edited from the DVD
  • I've just watched 'A Matter of Trust: The Bridge to Russia'.It's brought so many remembrances! I was engaged with a 18 y.o. Ukrainian beauty. We two were lying under the one blanket, quite young, naked, happy and ambitious, and watching the TV-show with Billy Joel having just arrived to Russia. We felt like Billy's fans. I didn't speak English then, but Billy's music was so clear that it seemed I understood all he sang.It didn't happen that I discovered rock-n-roll with Billy. I was 7 y.o. when first heard The Beatles Can't Buy Me Love in 1967. Up to 1977 (my senior class/grade at school) I became the fan of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and many others. Billy had happened The Next in a long line of names. But the very important name! In 1987 I knew quite well what music I liked. It was my first time I heard the name of Billy Joel. I fell in love with his songs at once.
    - A matter of trust;- The river of dreams - ARE my favorite songs from those times up till now. Thank you very-very much, Billy!