Laura

Since we have mentioned it a bit I thought I would give my take. At first listen it sounds as if it should be about a romantic relationship. However, the more I listened the more sense it made that it had to be his mom. What man wouldn't hang up on a lover?? But you would have guilt for hanging up on mom even if she was pushing all your buttons! My mom, thank God, is not like that but someone very close to me has a mom that sounds like Billy's. No offense against mom BJ but sounds like she never remarried and was looking to him to always be the man around the house. Take some of this as you will - I've taught Psychology for so long that sometimes Freud and his whackadoodle ideas get in your head. What do you think - am I completely off the mark?

Comments

• joolsmithjoolsmith Posts: 823
    I agree, I think it's about his Mum.
    I didn't have a good relationship with mine and can relate to the lyrics.

Jools
  • I think this is the reply button, is Laura really about his mum?
    I knew Rosalinda's eyes was a song he thought his dad should of wrote for his mum, if that makes sense

But when I listen to Laura I think its about a relationship with another woman, not his mother lol.
    Like someone who he loves and feels he cant live without but as the song progresses he realises she needs him as much as he needs her.

Well thats how I see it but I believe songs are wrote for the listeners personal interpritation, thats what songs are all about the mysteries they hold and the journey you can have with them =]

keep_the_faith
  • uncle alcoholuncle alcohol Posts: 159
    after listening again, i dont think its about his mom. sounds like someone the writer just cant turn his back on. though he would like to.
    --
    UA
  • I once read in an online interview that he said it was about a cousin of his. She liked to push his buttons.
  • Johnny UtahJohnny Utah Posts: 119
    edited 12:43PM
    A terrific and underrated song,Laura,( which could double as a Beatle outtake or album cut). Seems to tell the story of a troubled lover and the toll her depression takes on everyone around her; this isn't exactly "Just the Way You Are" territory. Dark, and Delicious..
    It is about BJ's mum according to Liberty Devitto, who even remarks that Laura has the same number of syllables as Mother

--
    Jools

"It's about joy that comes out of sorrow"
  • Sits in my chair if she has to

The relationship between parents; the work that goes into a marriage with children, which unfortunately for Billy, was not the case between his parents

It was too much work for his father to stay

For me, a canadian, I see the politics because all the songs in the album seem to say ALLIANCE- the relationship between Canada and the US, the long border and the necessary alliance between the 2 countries. It changes with every new election though.

--
    Laura
  • JosefineJosefine Posts: 5
    HI to all of you!
    I am from Germany and yesterday when I was driving I listened to "Laura" and I really think that it is about a relationship with a depressed woman, maybe a borderline girl.
    My sister is a borderliner and she is very pretty and bright, but it is almost impossible to be with her! Especially for a man this is hard and you try to get away from her but you love her and if it wasn't for her illness... she is the best woman you can get. But her surrounding goes south if you don't stop it.

I really think that Billy Joel once was with a woman like that, because he wouldn't know otherwise.

Josefine
  • FritzSpitzFritzSpitz Posts: 122
    I'll reiterate what has already been established in this thread...it was written about his mother.
    Maybe the FritzSpitz is right,but maybe, the Fristspitz is wrong. Up for more in depth discussion of said song....UNLESS Fritzspits is mom herself........
    Fritz is right, it is about his mother.

--
    Jools

"It's about joy that comes out of sorrow"
  • Forget who it's about. I'm still trying to figure out why I dreampt he sang the song to me a year before it came out.

Laura W, the Billy Joel psychic
  • Judging by his huge fan base and international appeal, I would have to say this song and all of the songs on the Nylon Curtain are more ubiquitous than about just one relationship.

_____
    Laura
    I would tend to agree with Laura Sopel.