Why did Liberty quit the band?

KevrockKevrock Posts: 169
edited 01/09/11 in Billy Joel Discussion
Hey guys,
Well, as I may have allready told my buddies on this site, I saw my first BJ concert last month and had a blast! When Billy Joel got on stage my Dad was suprised when he saw BJ's old Sax player on stage with him. Then about half way through the set the camras stay on the drummer for about maybe 30 seconds. I turn to my Dad and say is That Liberty???? He says No. I knew it could not have been him. I thought he could not play tonight for some reason. Then about 3 weeks later I hear from my good friend Joe Debiosi (IF I SPELLED HIS NAME RIGHT) you may know him he is the son of the Bassist from Fates warning. He was my old neighbor in CT. So my buddy Joe IM's me "Hey bud, guess what?? I got to jam with Liberty Divito!" he says. " Oh my God! How did you do that" I asked. "Well, I interviewed him for my school project" he says. Now assuming his Dad hoocked him up being the Bassist from Fates warning I just kept on talking with him. "Dude he showed me how to play angry younge man, it was awesome" he says. "Dude, did Liberty quit the band?" I asked. "Yeah he did, I don't know why though" says Joe.

WHO knows why he quit????

The 12 year old Billy Joel fan

Kevrock

"Working to hard can give you a heart attack ak ak ak ak ak"

Comments

• joolsmithjoolsmith Posts: 823
    It depends which source you go to, but it would appear that Lib fell out of grace with BJ. There is a theory that he told tales about what happened on tour, which is a sin. There is another theory that BJ just wanted to move on to another drummer. The biographies have different views. In the Mark Bego book Lib is interviewed and seems to be a very bitter man who had a soft spot for Christie Brinkley.

--
    Jools

"It's about joy that comes out of sorrow"
  • Johnny UtahJohnny Utah Posts: 119
    Shit happens all the time in bands This is nothing new. None of our buisness anyhow. Billy in Rolling Stone when asked he said "He knows and i know"..
  • KevrockKevrock Posts: 169
    It just sucks man. I love seeing his original band up there with him.

--

Kevrock

But the band still sounds great, it has proved it doesn't need Lib. Crystal Talifero wasn't in the original line up and she is brilliant

--
    Jools

Yeah I know but it just sucks. Seeing Billy in concert I'll always look behind the drum set. He is my favorite drumer next to Neil Peart from RUSH

--

Kevrock

edited 2:43PM
    Liberty is all over those studio albums. Always will be. As for whos better? thats subjective ( However listen to the drumming on "Songs in the Attic", "Seen the Lights go out on Brodway" song.. unreal!) To see Neli Peart and Liberty Devitto on the same stage would be awesome!
    Well, life moves on and things change. It's the way of the world.

--
    Jools

• lIberty opened his big fat mouth and said something stupid and thats why he's not there most likely!
    --
    they say that these are not the best of times but they're the only times i've ever known!
    I think you could be right

--
    Jools

Is there some history of like fights between Billy and Lib?
    I know a lot about the music and albums but now the band's personal problems.

--

Kevrock

According to the Mark Bego biography there were issues in the original band. Liberty is interviewed in the book and he comes across as a very bitter man with a huge chip on his shoulder. He even tries to take credit for the song writing!

--
    Jools

• --Liberty hit on Christy and Billy Got jealous!
    they say that these are not the best of times but they're the only times i've ever known!
    Well, in the interview Liberty comes across as having a serious crush on Christie

--
    Jools

Well, who didnt have crush on Chrsitie Binkley? lol..
    Yeah,
    She is still very atractive. How old his she?

--

Kevrock

"There's nothing els I can do, because I'm doing it all for Leyna"
    I think she is 55 now, and looking good

--
    Jools

Really???? 55????
    WOW!
    I saw her on TV just last night.
    She still looks beautiful.

And why do you discribe Liberty as a bitter man. What do you mean by bitter. When you say that I think of like a nasty old grump. He seems like a very nice person regardless of if he was crushing on Brinkly and fighting with Billy.

--

Kevrock

"There's nothing els I can do, because I'm doing it all for Leyna"
    I say that based on the interview he gave Mark Bego for the BJ biography. He is quoted all through the book and he says some very bitter things about BJ. My suggestion is that you read the book and make up your own mind as it could just be the way I am interpreting it.

--
    Jools

I would suggest to you: Take all these books with a grain of salt. Most are bullshit.
    I agree about the pinch of salt.
    However quotes are quotes.

--
    Jools

• ronjargensronjargens Posts: 3
    Yeah, no idea why he quit! He'll be missed

bad credit auto loans
  • the record needs to be set straight on this...i did a 3-hour phone interview with liberty (over two months) about this. if you are interested in reading the entire on-line article Email me: [email protected]

suffice it to say, liberty did NOT leave billy. he simply was not invited to back to play on billy's last REAL album "river of dreams". he did however play on a temp version of the album recorded a year earlier then called "the boathouse tapes" (never released). in my article liberty discusses a number of behind-the-music info on billy including, in its entirety, the personal letter he wrote billy about his involvement with the band the day billy got married 5 years ago and billy's response to the letter.

if liberty were asked to play again, assuming billy even does another original "band album", liberty would love to be involved.

have not had the chance to get billy's perspective on all of it.

- scott birmingham

• kckclasskckclass Posts: 5
    The way it works in the real world of music, lovers, friends and business partners:

Having played in bands since age 9 and ran a 20 bay recording studio - any band that lasts longer than a year is just as tight as a married couple - with all the love and hate that goes with a marriage or a roommate or a neighbor with a dog that yellows on your red roses. That's life.

Having had a fantastic diabetic jazz drummer who was completely worthless after his first beer (2nd set) - we reluctantly had to dump a fabulous drummer who couldn't handle (choke) 1 beer and couldn't "not drink" at the sets.

Then there was a great sax player we had - got cocky - wanted "more than the rest of the band" - and that wasn't gonna fly - bye.

We have one of the best guitar players in all of SF here - the guy can make you cry doing a solo ballad set under a single spot and an acoustic - but you'll shed more tears by the start of the third set when you watch this angelic talent turn into a loose lush by the time he's on his 5th or 7th cocktail. So sometimes booze, broads or bucks causes all kinds of relationships to go bust - not just bands.

Sometimes its just one word or sentence: we've all had someone we knew well, say something just "wrong" and never wanted to talk to them again.

And then there's the economic crash that affected everyone: for all you know Liberty asked for something of monetary value, or perhaps some credit for "some drum lick" or rhythm, that Billy didn't think he deserved. Most musicians take the drummers "roll/role" for granted - do your job - drive the band - use some finesse and punch when required - its a rhythm section (with the bass), not a band, anymore than you can listen to 4 hours of screaming guitar licks. Put another way, yes there are memorable drum moments and lotta talent out there, but only traditional log drummers can attempt to hold an audience for an hour, let alone 4. So ... in case this was the deal ... and in case it was over money or credit ... too much of those demands or attitude is (ahem) gonna get any drummer blown out. Add to that personalities that rub over the years, and they're blown out sooner rather than later.

Then there's the TORCH factor. Plenty of hot blonds who can work a mike have blown off their band for a solo career - doesn't always work - but usually does if she has talent. Gwen is just one example. Some come back - others never do - but the reality is, the TORCH rules the band. The band is there to support the TORCH, not shine. I play keys, and if your torch is a great guitar player, you sit back and make them sound good. If its a great gal on a mike, you sit back and make them sound good.

It ain't about "the band" - its about the torch - Mic Jagger is another classic example of this, as was Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Sade, Aretha - the list is endless.

Now we come to Billie - one of the finest "Male" torch singers - complete with killa fingers and attitude - that ever hit the stage. He'd sound good with 4 Jr. High School musicians backing him up - or solo - or in front of a 100 piece orchestra.

So...yes...in the dream world, its always wonderful when the family stays together forever...but in this world, a band member that doesn't recognize who butters the bread so everyone can eat, is gonna soon be having their beers from the dance floor, rather than the stage.

There are NO exceptions to this rule - never were - never will be.

• Having read all the above comments about the reason Liberty DeVitto and Billy Joel do not play together anymore I have come to a conclusion..........no one here knows a damm thing and are just guessing, rumour peddling etc.

Billy and Liberty worked together for 30 years, a very long marriage especially in the music business.

They have fallen out and I doubt if they will ever play together again. A shame but a reality.

Liberty was the drummer for all the great years, both on record and in concert and cannot be replaced in that aspect, that is history.

Please do not slag off people you don't know, comment about things you know nothing about and be generally rude about people who in real life are nice.

Thank you for reading my comments.
  • The "hired gun documentary" gives Lib's vague version of what happened, that's how I ended up here trying to figure out what really happened. Lib made it sound like it was over him asking for scrap's(financially), while Lib was going through a nasty divorce. I also read that he sued BJ for one of the songs Lib arranged and it was settled.
  • fnorenbergfnorenberg Posts: 1
    edited 06/18/18
    Considering Liberty was with him for THREE decades, BJ sure doesn’t come out looking great. No doubt Lib did more than a casual ask for crumbs as he describes, but who’s to say after all that time and contributions something wasn’t justified? There is also a long history of alcohol abuse. Who’s to say his thirty year band member didn’t confront him in an attempt to help? Perhaps AFTER asking for a bit more money. The way the Hired Gun piece makes it look, the “no room on the plane” incident sure sounds like a drunk guy ‘I’ll show you’ move.

Hey, I don’t know anything, but I’d hope one of those 12 STEPS would lead to manning up and patching the relationship. As everyone knows, life is extremely short. Don’t frickin’ waste it being a hard ass.

(Having said all this, settlement of the lawsuit probably killed any reconciliation.)