What is your favorite obscure song?

joelsgirljoelsgirl Posts: 224
edited 02/20/13 in Billy Joel Discussion
What songs do you guys really, really like that are little known by most casual BJ fans? I don't want to know greatest hits faves but those really obscure songs that he rarely plays in concert now and probably only played when he first released the album. I'll start you off - I really like a song called Josephine that is very bluesy and a homerun IMHO. Alright fellow fans let me hear what you looooooove.

Comments

• wing wongwing wong Posts: 3
    sAY is my favorite song is mylife.mylife
  • I really love Los Angelenos, I have one live version of that song (I have at least two of almost every song lol) and I've loved these days and summer, highland falls they are good songs and i dont think they are on recent live CDs

keep_the_faith xx
  • joolsmithjoolsmith Posts: 823
    Nylon Curtain - Surprises
    I've loved these days - Songs in the Attic
    I love them

Jools
  • mbruno14701mbruno14701 Posts: 20
    Hour Of The Wolf, Four O'Clock In The Morning, Falling Of The Rain, and Somewhere Along The Line. Those are some of my favorites. Oh and "Motorcycle Song" the original demo to All About Soul, which I actually like better than the final version.
  • uncle alcoholuncle alcohol Posts: 159
    One of my faves is" Down in the Boondocks" sung by fellow named D.L. Byron ,with Billy doing backup vocals. it is very rare ,but worth a listen!

--
    UA
  • joelsgirljoelsgirl Posts: 224
    I am adding to my collection of BJ music - share, please :) Although I might have to stop as I have filled my ipod!! However, mine is old and it doesn't hold much so I may need to get a new one!!

--
    joelsgirl
  • kaarejokaarejo Posts: 2
    How would anyone define obscure song?

Reading the various suggesttions, i keep thinking that is not an obscure song, but if it has to be a lesser known one, and being from where I am, i will try my luck and say Scandinavian Skies
    Well,i do not know how u would describe'Obscure". But SSkies is a fine song! Good choice!
    --
    UA
    I'm not sure any songs are obscure to us, his fans.
    We own so many of his albums we know his music inside out.
    When I start talking about BJ I could bore for Britain.

Jools
    Hmm.. define obscure?? Well I guess when I attended a BJ concert this summer and saw that many of the fans didn't know some of the songs he played, like Summer Highland Falls I tend to think that some fans only like the greatest hits. I love all his music but I find the deep cuts, B sides and ones not often played in concert are my favorites. So for me, I know them all as I know many of you do or you wouldn't be on here and posting. So I guess "obscure" defined is as wide and varying as each of us that responded.
    --
    joelsgirl
    Well i would say.."Rosalinda" ( demo)

--
    UA
    I love Rosalinda!! Great song. Is that one about his mom too? Or is it only Rosalinda's Eyes that is about mom?

--
    joelsgirl
    Yes, i believe it was about his mom. It later became "Rosalindas Eyes" but dont quote me on that !UA
  • LJ_PhotoLJ_Photo Posts: 6
    I don't know if this is actually obscure or not, but I really wasn't too familiar with "Root Beer Rag" until my middle son played it as part of a piano competition a few years ago. It was a little over his head in terms of level of challenge for him to play but it is definitely a cool piano part and he really liked playing it. He is a big fan too and is a music major (not on piano). So I guess it is a sentimental favorite for me because of that.
    When I first saw this post I misread it.
    I thought it said obscene and did a double take.
    I can't believe that concert goers wouldn't know "summer highland falls", I'm astounded. They mustn't be real fans.
    "B" sides, gosh that ages us!
    As far as I'm aware Laura was about his Mum as well.

Jools
    Favorites obscene song!! Hmmm...any BJ songs that are really obscene? Of course this would totally be an individual defintion. That wouldn't really be language/profanity obscene but ideas that one would find obscene. Well, how about it anybody have a BJ song they find offensive? I am going to have to think on that one and post again later.

--
    joelsgirl
    "Captain Jack" sits at home and masturbates. lol
    --
    UA

at least captain jack stayed at home ..... if not that really WOULD be offensive!
    --
    joelsgirl
    'Great Suburban Showdown"is another gem!
    --
    UA
    I also quite like Money or Love. Another gem.
    --
    UA
    "The Ziegfried Line" is quite good.
    --
    UA

Long, long time is good
    --
    joelsgirl
    "So long Reverand Ike" is very good.

--
    UA
  • wikkigirlwikkigirl Posts: 42
    Technically, these are probably not classed as 'obscure' but I wouldnt class then as mainstream either.

My 'Billy Joel' obscure songs are: This is the time, Captain Jack, Stop in Nevada and Billy the Kid.

Cheers from-
    wikkigirl
  • OH MY GOD. GET A LIFE . The OP was asking a simple question; the obscure song. He/She meant it as a way of asking which song do you like which is not so well know to the " Uptown Girlites ". I grew up around Billy's music and his songs inspired me to no end. The Gems are as follows;

Cold spring Harbour - Got to Begin Again.
    Piano Man - Stop in Nevada ( haunting fade out )
    Streetlife Serenade - Roberta ( obviously )
    Turnstiles - James
    The stranger - Everybody has a dream
    52nd Street - Honesty ( ok, not obscure, but my fave from the album. Cried so many times over this after being dumped )
    Glass Houses - Through the long night ( so, so , so , so underated - awesome harmonies )
    The Nylon Curtain - Laura ( so beatelesque )
    The innocent man - Easy money ( probably the best opening song to any Billy Joel album )
    The bridge - Temptation ( love the chords and easy to play )
    Storm front - Ok. This is controversial. I love State of Grace. Probably never played on any airwaves, but the lyrics are powerful.
    River of Dreams - Shades of Grey is a blast. In my top ten ipod songs.

OP - I hope that this now leads to a barrage of responses because I LOVE talking about Billy's music. I even have theories behind the songs which he has never admitted.

Love from Wales . UK/
    OK I'll bite. Give me a song and your theory behind it. I love discussing his music and I have my own ideas. Lets get this thing started!

--
    joelsgirl
  • Ok. I have a theory about the song Tomorrow is today from CSH. This was written at the time of his depression. The song about two thirds through goes into a louder piano piece with the lyrics ( oh my, going to the river gonna take a ride and the lord will deliver ". Im convinced he is writing ( never admitted ) about his constant fighting with demons in his mind. It's as if he is writing in two personalities. Then, his normal self takes bacvk over to finish off the song. Whenever I hear this song, I often think that Billy has written it with vengeance against someone in mid, unfortunately, his is cutting his nose to spite his face.
    Does this make sense?
  • My favorite songs by Billy Joel is:

Longest time
    We didn't start the fire
    Pressure
    River of dreams
    still rock and roll to me
    uptown girl
    idk...........alot
    The Falling of the Rain CSH
    Love it.

Scandinavian Skies; is about the time he tried heroin on a flight from Amsterdam to Oslo.

Jools
  • sunrisesunrise Posts: 121
    sAY is my favorite song is mylife.mylife

--

nike shoes discount